New Year‚ New Look
I heard that this morning on the radio and I thought it applies to your website as well as your body image.
I do spend a lot of time talking about the message and the content of your site but the look is key. Visitors to your site immediately react to the look of your site. At this point in time just about every business has a website but some sites you open just look so dated‚ the colors aren’t appealing or site is cluttered with so much going on that it is hard to focus. Some sites are all about a big visual bang‚ I mean that literally‚ you open the page and bam something come flying out at you. Other sites open to a lovely image on an intro page then make you wait and wait to get into the site and what you are looking for. All these kind of sites have one thing in common‚ visitors usually don’t stick around to see what you offer. If you don’t get and hold their attention immediately you’ve probably lost them.
There are those sites you open that you reacted to right away‚ the look is pleasing‚ the message is easy to find and the site has a good flow you so people will actually read more and take action.
What makes a site look good?
- Balance: where each item goes on the page‚ how it interacts with the other elements on the page.
- Color: the colors should reflect your company branding so visitors immediately know it’s your company. Don’t take that too far and make everything that color. Use colors that work well together but also use color to make something pop‚ those things that you want to make sure that visitors see.
- Images: photos‚ graphics‚ and animations use an image that relates to your business‚ use images that get make people think. Please don’t use obvious stock images‚ there is so much out there that looks good and interesting.
- Typography: since I started my journey as a graphic designer typography is very important to me. Fonts evoke different things‚ use a font that represents you and your business. But use it sparingly don’t have most of your site in a swirly script font‚ they are good for headlines when they fit your business but so hard to read as text. Bold! Use the bold option when you want to make a headline‚ subhead or a line of copy stand out. DO NOT use bold for a body of text‚ it loses its effect and it’s hard to read. The reader feels a little assaulted by this bold copy seemingly yelling at them.
- White space: every bit of your site does not have to be filled with something! You need to use this white space to create balance and flow.
- Consistency: don’t make every page look exactly the same. Don’t use the same information in every sidebar. First of all‚ it’s boring but more important you are wasting all this valuable space. Use images and copy that relate to each page. Make each page just as interest to look at and read and the Home page.
- Bells & whistles are optional and often get in the way of what’s important.
Your website’s success is hinged on getting the look and the content right. A fabulous looking site that doesn’t have a strong message and engaging content produces results comparable to a website that has the amazing copy buried in a cluttered page and bad design choices. Web design is a creative process that is used for presenting your business to the world. The more talent you have for design and creativity and the understanding of what your site needs to say about you‚ your business and how you can help the visitor the better the finished product will be. Following these guidelines for the look will get you started in the right direction if you are creating your own site and help you if you are working with a designer.
Capture Your Essence Online is a smooth blend of good design and content. We work with you through every step‚ with content coaching to translate why you do the work you do and how that changes what you do for the better. We work together to define your ideal client‚ who that really is‚ the client that gets the most from your service. The clients who love you and you love working with. We work to create your message to grab that ideal clients attention. Then we take all of this information we worked on together and the understanding of what the look that represents your business to create a site that looks great‚ engages the visitor with the information they need and creates leads and new clients.
Want to know more‚ great timing it’s all on SALE now. We want you to have the best year ever and look good doing it!