I am and it is not helping me in my business. I think I was always quiet. I am the oldest of 6 but as a small child my younger sister‚ who is a year and four days younger than I am‚ use to sit on me like I was a piece of furniture! My mother says that I would be yelling my head off and my sister would just sit there without a care in the world. Maybe I was already “the quiet one” so she was taking over because she knew someone had to be in charge. Then there is my family they are big talkers‚ they are quick and funny. I am quick and funny but not as quick. So I listened more and quietly contributed when I could get a word in. I’m not blaming my family‚ it was just the way I am.
I’ve spent years working on overcoming this quietness. I can speak up when I want or need something. I can talk in groups. I can even be a speaker at business functions‚ I’m pretty good at it too. (Book me‚ I have all kinds of good info in this head of mine and some pretty funny stories to go with it!) I feel like I have overcome a lot of it but the reality is I have not gone far enough and what I hear from others in business and from my clients they are struggling with this as well.
If we want to succeed with our businesses then we are the ones who need to speak up and let the world know we are here and that we can help. We need to be doing this all the time and not quietly either! I feel like I do a really great job working with clients‚ helping them to define what they do and who they do it for then creating websites that attract those clients to them. But if I am not talking about it‚ posting about it‚ doing all I can to reach as many people as I can I am not getting clients.
I’m sure there are those in your field who get lots of what you might consider undeserved work. You May know that you provide better service and a better product but they get the jobs because they are better known. Being too quiet about what you can do leaves you with time on your hands or worse taking jobs just for the money. Those are usually the jobs that are the hardest.
So let’s make some noise! Some ways of doing this are:
- Social media‚ it’s basically free to use it. Post what you do. Post what you have done to help clients. Post your blog post‚ just post.
- Networking‚ join the groups that interest you. The more people you meet the better‚ each person May know someone who needs what your offer.
- Blog‚ blog‚ blog. Most of us do not like to write but it is a great way to let the world know what we can do. Use your blog to set yourself up as an authority. It is all about the value you bring to the reader so share what is going to help others. You May feel you are giving too much away but you will find the more you share the more people are open to contacting you for more.
- Email marketing‚ I have to say I that I hear some people say email marketing is dead‚ but I hear more say that it is not. Yes‚ you are getting tons of email these days BUT I am betting that you read the ones that interest you and offer you value. Make your emails engaging and full of info that your audience needs and your emails will be read. Plus‚ even if they don’t read all your emails or only an occasional one your name showing up in their mailbox consistently works its own magic.
- A website‚ your website should be about what you do to help the people you serve but it also tells your story. Every time you are out talking about your message you need to send them back to your site to learn more. Make sure your site is giving the same message.
- Write an article or guest blog post. Showing up as an authority on other sites or in magazine get’s your name out to a whole new group of people.
- TV &Radio‚ be interviewed or give your expert opinion on a TV show or radio program. Local stations or internet radio are looking for experts. Start there and move up to the big guys‚ as you get better known and respected they will start calling you for your expertise.
For all of these‚ the key is to be Persistent and Consistent!
(Thank you #Liam Austin for put those words together during his Sales Conversion Success Summit today while talking with Josh Turner.)
Are you looking at your website and not seeing the kind of content and design that makes a visitor stop and say “I want to work with this person”? I can help‚ I work with my clients to discover what it is about their business that makes them unique‚ what makes them stand out in their felid‚ why they should hire your business over the competition. I take that information and use it to create websites that make a great first impression to get the visitor to stay on your site long enough to read all your important information and offers.